[NAGDU] Crosses

Sandra Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 20:56:38 UTC 2019

Hello:

I understand that many guide dog handlers use crates.  However, I do think
some of the puppy raisers use it so much that the dog does not have enough
opportunities to learn proper behavior.  I have never felt the need to use a
crate with any of my guide dogs.  If a bad behavior did occur I immediately
dealt with it and the dog quickly learned what was expected.  When I got Eva
from Pilot five years ago they had crates in the rooms.  It broke my heart
to put her in the crate.  I think crates are extremely cruel.  She cried
pitifully and I felt like I had put my precious golden pup into prison.  Her
trainer admitted that Eva hated being in her crate and he had a tough time
training her to get in it.  I knew I would never use a crate after class so,
I just let her lye next to my bed on a fleece blanket I had brought to class
for her.

Sandra and the always free in the house Eva