[NAGDU] Questions from a potential future guide dog user.

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu May 9 21:28:52 UTC 2019

My .02, please know this is just me and everyone has different experiences.

Yes, the first time I walked with a dog I did feel a bit untethered.  It was
a bit exhilarating and disorienting at the same time.  I was used to a cane
and the info I got from contact with the environment.  that was gone and I
didn't yet have the experience of recognizing what the dog was indicating.
It didn't last long.  The dog will indicate the edge of the street, turns,
frequently used turns/doors/etc.  You can pattern the dog to target places
you want or teach the dog to take you to frequently used items like soda
machines/mailboxes etc.

You will still get all the same tactile information of dips, rises and
textures that you are used to now.  You will just need to get that info from
your feet instead of the cane.  I still follow walls, especially in places
like malls or large hotels, but I do it by sound instead of contact with a
cane.   The advantage of the dog is that you can teach the dog to say find
the elevator.  So maybe the first time in a large hotel you follow the wall
around to the other side of the lobby to get to the elevator, but once
you're there, you can reinforce this is a great place to be so the dog will
then be able to take you straight across the lobby directly to the elevator.
Actually most dogs are probably going to already know to find elevators.  I
live in a tiny town and my dogs don't often see elevators, so when we come
across them, I typically have to show them what to do the first time in a
new place.  Anyway I hope you will understand the idea and how it can apply
to lots of other situations.

If there is no clear path my dogs will generally stop and refuse to go
forward.  My older dog will suggest an alternate route from a fair distance
back, but I usually have no clue what's ahead and insist we go forward,
which ends in doubling back and taking the turn he previously suggested.
When the dog stops you will investigate first with a foot, then a hand to
check for an overhang if needed.  Carrying a folding cane to check things
out if a foot or hand doesn't work is also an option.  Historically there
have been diverse opinions about using a cane and dog together on a
continual basis.  Some opinions are that if your using a dog you should
never need a cane again.  Others use a cane and dog together nearly all the
time.  From what I can tell the cane and dog simultaneous users live in
places where the pathways are very uneven and unpredictable like in very old
cities or developing countries.  If it makes you feel more secure to carry a
folding cane and getting it out when you don't understand what the dog is
indicating, then I say go for it.

On routine...yes, dogs need routine, but that doesn't mean you have to go to
the same places, in the same order every day.  Different dogs will need
different levels of routine, just like people.  Some dogs are more flexible
than others.  I think the most important part of a routine is feeding and
relieving, but even that can vary somewhat.  Let your program know about
your travels and lifestyle and they should be able to find a dog that will
thrive in that environment.

HTH and welcome to the list!
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>