[NAGDU] Questions from a potential future guide dog user.

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 22:39:50 UTC 2019

Hello Sandra,

Please find my answers below your questions.

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM Sandra Gayer via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> Thanks for all your help and advice, both on and off list. I wonder if
> I could keep this thread going and ask another question around keeping
> the dog clean and tidy?
>
> How do you cope with keeping the dog's general smells to a minimum? I
> understand that they smell a bit, they are dogs and big dogs at that.
> However, I have come across guide dogs, and guide dog teams, on rare
> occasions i'd like to add, who inspire a negative gut reaction and I
> do not want to be responsible for such a reaction in other people. I
> have read that regular brushing causes the dog to smell less, getting
> them washed once a month helps as well. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated.

Dog smell can be taken care of by grooming your dog. If the dog gets dirty,
it may be time for a bath. Keeping the dog's bedding clean helps with dog
smell. Brushing a dog's teeth and giving them treats or bones which are
good for the teeth is a good idea.  Using a jacket in the rain helps, but
when it's wet your dog will smell like a wet dog. Using some sort of
moisturizing oil may help. Feeding a pretty good quality food will help as
well. Please note though that no matter what you do, some people will have
a negative reaction, and will claim that they smell your dog. Some people
don't like dogs, and it isn't personal to you or your dog. So just be you,
do what you can, and don't worry about it too much.

> Just a couple of other questions, the constant hair shedding? Any
> ideas?

Brush your dog regularly. Clean the dog's bedding, and your house as well.
And expect your dog to shed, at times more than others. Carry around a
thing to get the hair off your clothes (can't remember the name at the
moment). And accept that part of being a dog owner is dealing with dog
hair.

> Last but not least, releaving. I know the handler has to pick
> up after the dog has releaved him/herself but does that include urine
> as well as the other type of output?

*R e l i e v i n g* is an interesting one. No, you don't pick up urine, but
you will clean it if it happens at home, and being prepared with some paper
towels in an airport is a pretty good idea. Being cognizant of where your
dog relieves is important. Where is your dog urinating, and is that place
appropriate for them to urinate? is it a high-trafficked  area where people
are walking? How close is it to a building? Is it on someone's lawn? All
things to consider, but if your dog urinates, just keep it moving and don't
worry about cleaning it up. If it is near your house, you may want to hose
it down once in a while.
Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
(393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!