[NAGDU] Questions about American Guide Dog Programs

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:33:34 UTC 2019

This is not an accurate description of how food rewards are used by
guide dog programs. Treats are not supposed to be used on a constant
basis. You do not reward a dog with a treat every single time it does
something correctly for the life of the dog.

During the training process of a new behavior, you do reward with a
treat every time. Once the dog has mastered the behavior, you
gradually reduce the number of treats that are given until the dog is
only receiving a food reward on occasion or not at all. During the
first few weeks or months a handler has a new dog, the rate of food
reward is kept high, and then gradually reduced to the point where you
only need to carry a few pieces of kibble with you each day or only
use treats in particularly challenging situations. I'm positive there
are handlers who use treats improperly, and I won't even get into the
average pet owner. The same could be said for corrections, time outs,
or any training method though. Just because occasionally people use
the training method incorrectly, doesn't make it bad.

I can't speak about GDB from personal experience, but I know GDF uses
food rewards in a similar way. For example, Jackie was trained with
food rewards. It took about two months to reduce her from about a half
a cup of kibble per day to about ten pieces of kibble per day.

It's totally fine to have and share different opinions about training
methods, but it is important to make sure you fully understand the
method before doing so. It's like how many members of the general
public think leash corrections are abuse, because they don't
understand their purpose and how handlers know how to correct in a
safe and effective way. I'm not trying to pick on any individual,
because I see the misconceptions about food rewards a lot.

Just for comparisons sake, my dog trained with extensive food reward
does not scavenge or act obsessed with food. My dog trained with very
minimal food reward (just for recall) is a serious scavenger and
highly, highly food driven.

Also, most programs except students from Canada, but it's probably a
good idea to contact individual programs about their policies
concerning students from other countries.

Danielle, Thai, and Jackie