[NAGDU] Fixing pokiness

Jean Menzies jemenzies at shaw.ca
Wed May 29 19:25:50 UTC 2019

Hi Tracy.

I'm mixing things up with food treats, using a verbal word that stands in
for a click before treating, and also using the happy enthusiastic
encouragement and trading off with more serious voice tone. It seems that
what works one day doesn't work the next. He definitely can be on pace and
work well when he wants to. For us, it doesn't feel like a lack of
confidence, but rather, lack of desire sometimes. That's my thought, anyway.
The food rewards are supposed to build his enthusiasm, but I fear it is
creating another problem. Now he is reverting back to poor lead out and
inconsistent pace, and expecting a food reward for clearances, etc. I start
weaning back on the food in a few days, so he will be miffed when the treats
are more random.

I do know that I don't want to go to a program next time that relies so
heavily on treats. I think they are fine for early learning and for teaching
targetting and shaping behaviour, but I feel that I want a dog next time
that is weaned off on this once the harness hits my hand. Food is only one
kind of paycheque, and I want to go back to the old style of working for
verbal and physical praise. JMO.

Jean