[NAGDU] Guide Dog Schools

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Oct 4 11:12:40 UTC 2019

all schools go through stages and  so on I'd recommend talking to the
various schools and seeing who talks to you with respect and takes what
you say seriously and their responses and so on. You never really know
that much about how they'll treat you until youapply. Also talk to grads
which of course, by writing to this list youa re doing...smile.  Problem
is we all have our opinions based on our experiences, I've met people
who will love one school and then on the same day talk to someone who
hates it.

I think the guide dog movement is in a transitional stage and I'm not
sure whom to recommend, the use of treats and clickers and what would
seem to me a change in training and so on leads me to wonder how things
will b e in a few years, by the way, not saying either is bad, just
commenting.

For example, though I have used treats for my own dogs for certain
things I do get the impression that nowadays quite  a  few of the
schools have you treat the doggies for just about everything, something
which I personally wouldnt' want to do if I were training myself.

None of this to bash anyone just saying gather your info, talk to
people,a nd talk to the schools you are interested in, I recommend
applying to a few, not just one.

I really hope you kep us in the lloop about all of it, because whenever
i hear of someone starting out with a dog it reminds me of  the
emotions, excitement and all the stuff going on when I started out low
those 25 years ago.

I'd say if I really had to, GDB, GDF, Pilot, Seeing Eye, Freedom, GDA
(guide dogs of america) I've heard of people also who have success and
are happy with GEB (guiding eyes).  but then again this is based on
things I'm looking for or hthings I've

  heard, I put those in no particular order it wasn't a ranking--lol
also I know people who don't like any of those and like other
places--smile sorry to be confusing but I think you get my point.

I will say that when I applied this time around, though I'm not going to
the Seeing Eye at present, that the Seeing Eye was very helpful,
respectful, and professional during the application process,  .

Yours cordially,

Dan W.