[NAGDU] Keeping the dog entertained

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:56:33 UTC 2020

I'm a grad student, so all of my classes switched to online for the
rest of the semester. I live in a pretty rural area, which allows me
to take almost daily walks around my development without getting
within six feet of most people. There's only so many streets to walk
though, and it's pretty boring and repetitive. On the plus side, it
does give us a chance to work on dog distractions, because everyone is
out walking there dogs on nice days.

I have four dogs. Three of them do play together sometimes, which is a
decent energy outlet. I have a fenced yard that is great when the dogs
can go out, but it's been so muddy most of these past weeks. Playing
fetch in the fenced yard or individually on a flexi is the favorite
activity of my guide and retired guide. Typical retrievers. Tug is
also a good energy outlet on rainy days. I'm not one to do much of
repetitive obedience sessions, preferring to scatter obedience
throughout daily life. I've been brushing up on obedience with
distractions while I have the time though. For example, heeling across
a trail of dropped food and holding extended stays with toys being
squeaked and tossed around.

I've been doing some trick training to get the dogs thinking. Some
tricks and tasks I've taught either my guide, retired guide, or both
include:
*rolling on their side
*giving paw
*spinning in a circle
*closing a door
*retrieving designated objects (leash, bowl, etc(
*locating dropped objects
*putting front paws up on a surface
*resting head in my lap

I've also been training my retired guide in nose work. It's super fun,
and maybe we'll even compete in trials in the future.

Danielle