[NAGDU] PLEASE READ: U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:47:35 UTC 2020

This is illogical and burdensome. Paperwork isn't going to stop people
who want to claim their dogs as service animals when they are not if
those people really wish to bring their dogs on flights.

I fear more inaccessible paperwork being required of us. In addition,
I wonder what happens if the airlines don't like something we put when
filling out the forms. For example, what if an airline doesn't like
that someone trained their own dog instead of getting them from a
school?

Also, as someone with a larger dog who gets questioned almost every
time I travel, the foot space requirement seems a little vague to me.
Who gets to decide that our dogs don't fit? My dog certainly fits, but
I have to ignore protests from flight attendants quite often when I
board and choose a seat away from the bulkhead. Haha, at least, they
aren't requiring service animals stay up front in the bulkhead.

I hope we can get some clarifications and there's a way to protest
these forms. The ADA doesn't require I go into public spaces with
forms; there is no reason I should show them to fly, IMHO.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of