[NAGDU] Introduction and question

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:58:27 UTC 2020

Hi Tracy,

Thai is just like Krokus with the food obsession. I can definitely say
that he acts starved to death no matter how much he eats or how much
fiber is in the food. I've fed him anything from 2.9%-6% fiber, and
between 2 and 1/3-3.25 cups of food depending on caloric content and
activity level. In all situations, he acts like he hasn't eaten for a
week. Same goes for my always hungry little pet dog. I don't notice
much of a difference in the other dogs either, who aren't as food
obsessed.

I actually think you would see more of a difference in the somewhat
food motivated dogs vs. the highly food motivated dogs. Highly food
motivated dogs will eat anything at any time. Less food motivated dogs
might actually understand the difference between being full and
hungry. Fat and protein are also more satiating than carbs, so a
higher protein and/or fat diet could help offset the lower fiber.

That being said, every dog is an individual. If a low fiber diet
causes scavenging in a particular dog, then of course a low fiber diet
might not be the best option for that dog.

Danielle

On 5/21/20, Madison Martin via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Asia,
> Welcome to the list!! I'm sorry to hear that poor Greyson is having these
> issues. I honestly hate it when vets tell you what to feed your dog. It's
> usually the brand (s) of food that they sell, so they're just trying to get
> more money out of you. I love Dog Food Advisor, it's a grate website and
> really easy to navigate, you can even search for a particular brand and/or
> formula. I hate looking at ingredient lists, especially when there are a
> bunch of things that I have no idea what they are so therefore I don't know
> what purpose they serve if any. I have a question, but I'll post that
> separately. Good luck with finding a food that works for him!! Please keep
> us posted,
> Madison

>>> for a few days on them and after that his stools went back to being
>>> stewy. My local vet also put Greyson on Hills ID prescription food for
>>> about a month.
>>> After a week though his stools went back to being stewy even on that
>>> food. I have finally put Greyson on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and
>>> Venison Limited Ingredient formula thinking that the issue was
>>> chicken products in the other foods. It has been about two weeks with
>>> Greyson on this food and his stools are stewy once again after
>>> improving for a little while. I will be going to my local vets office
>>> after its been 60 days. Another issue is that he always wants to go
>>> poop while on a walking route. I do not find this to be much of a
>>> problem because I have taught him to tell me when he has to go but
>>> the poop that comes out has no form to it at all when this happens.
>>> It does not matter if I make him go right before we go on a walk he
>>> will still want to go after several minutes of walking. Any treats
>>> that he gets I have changed to treats that only are one  protein type
>>> to eliminate that cause. I do not feed him treats while working
>>> because he gets distracted from his work and starts demanding the
>>> treat before he completes the task. This is one thing I will not put up
>>> with from any dog so he just gets petting and verbal praise while working
>>> and does fabulous work with both of these.
>>>

>>> With this whole explanation I was hoping that someone on this mailing
>>> list could give me any ideas that I could bring up to my vet to think
>>> about. Or anything I could do to help my puppy not have so many bad
>>> poops. If someone wants to email me privately so not to clutter up
>>> this list you can email me
>>> at: asiaevans102897 at gmail.com
>>>

>>> Sent from Mail
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__go.microsoft.co
>>> m_fwlink_-3FLinkId-3D550986&d=DwIGaQ&c=bxPc2m0ObpqDZEXBKvMy_w&r=Hcrwh
>>> dhMdAGUwsB5Y24ptJnRJIWAvwPlNQXimYyib7o&m=pe906sTQSS6vPiFnQf5NSeLgdT7N
>>> iyIqqhPXxTMx0nY&s=uK02-Vf9kbxIQXqXojfSVy3kdVr4E2kDGxyxjelHeFY&e=

>>> NAGDU:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nfbnet.org_mailma
>>> n_options_nagdu-5Fnfbnet.org_cnewton-2540itsmarta.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=bxPc

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dsykora29%40gmail.