[NAGDU] Question Regarding Guide Dog Schools

Lyn Gwizdak gwizdaklyn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 17:28:32 UTC 2020

Hi everyone. Hope all are staying healthy during this pandemic. One thing
to consider is that the schools are doing things differently now than they
did before COVID. Another thing for firsttimers to consider is that if you
are open to any breed, you may get into class sooner.

For me, I've worked labs and a few shepherds. None of the shepherds worked
out. Two of them had issues I couldn't live with and the other was a good
dog but I sustained an injury that caused me to have to give up guide dog
use for a year. Two of the shepherds were from Seeing Eye the other from
Eye Dog in Phoenix. All three were very sweet. Even the one who barked on
buses and other public places that scared the public. Shepherd guides are
not that common in San Diego. For all three shepherds, the schools never
blamed me for the partnership failures. The ones from Seeing Eye had
behavior problems which caused their early retirements. After I retired my
previous shepherd, TSE wanted to give me another shepherd which I declined
because I was not wanting the behaviour problems. I wanted another lab
since I seem to work best with them. A shepherd is too active for my needs.
I am an older guy who has other physical issues besides blindness. Turns
out my sister who lived with me was diagnosed with alzheimers and she lost
her ability to walk. This happened a year or so after I got my current lab.
Because my sister is also blind, I had to take her on paratransit. My lab
adjusted to a reduced work load. I could only push my sister's manual
transport (four small wheels) chair to the other end of our city block to
our fave restaurant with me heeling my dog. With my very limited vision we
couldn't cross streets and push the wheelchair. I dont think I could have
done this with a shepherd. Now, my sister has had to move to a memory-care
facility and I just moved to a one bedroom apartment. With the pandemic,
there aren't my old usual activities that I use the public transportation
to get to. Ari and do get some more good working walks with going to stores
as I need to or walks in Balboa Park or down by the bay.

Heather, your very long post was most informative with good advice about
the various schools and about their breeds of dogs. I enjoyed reading it.

My advice to newbies to the guide dog life is to really know your needs and
desires and dealbreakers in the ideal dog for you. What kind of lifestyle
do you live, household make up (kids? What ages? Other pets?), etc. Be open
to breed you will accept. As far as scavenging goes, none of my labs were
big on doing that. It might happen very occasionally. Alot of that happens
when you aren't as attentive to what your dog is doing when you are in
areas where there is likely to be food on the floor or ground. A head
collar does wonders in discouraging this behavior. Nothing is perfect in
life. I love The Seeing Eye but acknowledge that they have their
imperfections. Schools are run by imperfect humans. Like all living beings,
there will be imperfections. Realize this as you explore the various
schools. Large or small every program has something for everyone's needs.

Lyn and Aristotle