[NAGDU] Touch training

sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 20:27:19 UTC 2021

My pleasure.
Please keep me posted.

-----Original Message-----
From: NAGDU <nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Jean Menzies via NAGDU
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 3:42 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
<nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Cc: jean.e.menzies at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [NAGDU] Touch training

Thanks, Susan, for breaking down how you use the touch command with your
dog. I know what you mean about being close but yet so far as a total. My
goal is to make finding things more complete in the approach. If I can't
touch it or find it with a foot, it's very hard to know if he's found it or
not. Standing nearby isn't quite good enough. Lol. Close only counts in
horseshoes and hand grenades. (wink).

Seriously, though, I taught touch to my last dog but never really used it
for back chaining or anything. We just didn't seem to need it. I've now
taught touch to Percy, who is my ninth dog. He wasn't taught it by his
trainer, and he has caught on quickly. I can now direct his movement and
body position with a closed fist, and he will move to poke my fist. Good
first steps. My goal is to be able to follow his nose to find the object or
location I need to teach. As you say, create a clean and complete approach.

Thanks again for youipt.

Jean and Percy