[NAGDU] Seeking Feedback Re: Traveling in unfamiliar Areas

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:37:06 UTC 2021

Hi Diane,

You have gotten some great information about using a GPS to assist
with planning new routes. I think if you venture out a little bit,
even if it is just a short walk to an unfamiliar location in your
neighborhood, it will really increase your confidence. Some dogs also
show less distraction when they have more mental stimulation, so it
might even help your dog too.

As for her sniffing, people, and dog distractions, there are a lot of
things you can do to improve that. First, I would try introducing the
Gentle Leader to her from the beginning, as if this were a brand new
tool she has never experienced. Some dogs legitimately don't benefit
from the GL, but some just develop a negative association with it that
can be improved. Try putting it on her (without a leash attached)
right before you feed her, let her eat her meals with it on, and
remove it as soon as she is done. You can do this for a week or so.
Then try putting it on her for short periods of time with the leash
attached. Maybe practice heeling around your house and asking for some
obedience behaviors, and intermittently give her food rewards when she
doesn't try to rub her head against things. Then try going outside and
heeling up and down the sidewalk. You want to give food frequently at
first to create a very positive association, and then you can
gradually reduce the food. Next put it on for short periods of time
while she is working. You can gradually decrease the time she wears
the GL. Also, don't take it off until she is still. Removing the GL
while she is rubbing her face against things will reinforce that
rubbing her face against you will result in you taking off the GL.
Some dogs take to head collars in just a few sessions, while other
dogs need weeks of gradual introduction to be truly comfortable with
it. Also, acclimation to a head collar is most successful when the dog
wears the head collar on a somewhat regular basis. If the dog was
desensitized to wearing a head collar but then you don't use one for
six months, you will probably need to start over. I like to put a head
collar on my dogs a few times a month even if they don't necessarily
need it at the time, just to keep them used to wearing it.

If the GL really ends up being more of a distraction than a help, the
next best thing for sniffing in particular is a collar that sits up
high on the neck along with holding the leash in your right hand. If
you hold the leash in your right hand in the places your dog is most
likely to sniff, you can correct the instant she starts to turn her
head. If the leash is in your left hand, she will be able to turn her
head and sniff for a couple seconds (and thus self reward) before you
can correct with your left hand. If you are using a martingale, you
can tighten it a little to help it stay up higher on her neck. Putting
a flat collar lower on the neck is also a really easy way to keep a
martingale, and in some cases even a slip chain, higher up on the
neck. A prong collar also works well for this. Prongs are actually not
cruel like a lot of people believe, but I wouldn't recommend using one
without knowing the propper fit or on a very sensitive dog.

There are a lot of ways to work on people and dog distractions, but I
don't really want to get into that without knowing the strength and
particulars of your dog's distraction. If it is really an issue for
your safety and public perception of her behavior, contacting the
program for help would be a good choice. You can politely let them
know you didn't feel comfortable with your instructor, so they can
find someone else to assist you. An in person visit from another
instructor may or may not be possible depending on geography, but they
may very well be able to have another instructor provide some tips via
phone, email, or video chat.

Good luck,
Danielle