[NAGDU] Resolutions

Lyn Gwizdak gwizdaklyn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 16:41:33 UTC 2021

You are so right on, Tracy. Respect and dignity are the bottom line. Any
school that won't work with us as equal adults will shape up if they find
we dont support them by us choosing to go there. I saw the resolution that
passed as a "sit up and pay attention" to the schools as to who their
customers are.

I think Seeing Eye is a school whose founders believed in the dignity of
their customers from the school's birth and continues to this day. Most of
the other schools havent been run by blind folks from their births. So they
still have a legacy of having the typical attitudes towards blindness. We
can help some of these schools in changing those negative attitudes.

Personally, I have attended several schools in my long time as a guide dog
user. I have experienced paternalism at one of them. I have been treated
with respect and dignity at Seeing Eye. They have been excellent in
respecting my gender change and my pronouns even though some longtime staff
knew me before my transition.

Lyn (he, him, his) and Aristotle