[NAGDU] "Well-trained"

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 22:16:30 UTC 2021

Tracy, you had a good explanation. I know different schools seem to have
different ideas. Having gotten a dog from The Seeing Eye long before I had
my last dog Irish, I totally expected to go anywhere and everywhere with my
dog and use the commands and skills that the dog  and I had from our
training. When I got Irish, the expectation at The Eye of the Pacific was
very different, most of those people never went anywhere by themselves
without having someone preferably a trainer go with them a couple of times
to learn the route. I never adopted that philosophy and Irish and I just
went where we wanted to go, maybe getting directions if needed beforehand,
but he was a well-trained dog and I supported him and used the commands and
he was trained with and my mobility skills to get where we needed to go.  It
was a concept I'd never been familiar with until dealing with the Eye of the
Pacific that I wouldn't expect to go home and work independently with my dog
from then on.

Charlene