[NAGDU] crates etc.

richardfiorello716 at gmail.com richardfiorello716 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 16:30:06 UTC 2021

Hi;

I'm a new subscriber but have to put in my worthless two cents about crates.
As far as I'm concerned if used properly they are one of the best things
guide dog schools have started using.  True there isn't much I can do with a
crate that I couldn't do with a tie down  but given the length of some of
some of the tie downs I've seen I'm certain my dogs are much happier in
their crates.  My previous dog went into his crate all on his own as soon as
it started getting dark outside.  Why? Who knows.  My current guide goes
back in his crate when I start getting dressed.  So much for equality.

One explanation I have heard is that dogs traditionally have a den in the
wild and if used properly the crate becomes the dog's den.  As for the dog
that was terrified of the crate, it would be interesting to know the history
of that problem.  I wonder if that came up when he was a puppy?  Also it
didn't sound like the trainer tried working to overcome that issue.

Now always putting the dog in a crate when not holding a leash is more than
a bit extreme.  The one thing I wish all schools would try and emphasize is
off leash recall.  The fact that my dog comes when on leash perhaps during
obedience is one thing but if he is off leash investigating the world will
he still come when called?  My prior dog would come to about three feet away
when called and when I reached for him away he went.  On the plus side he
was an excellent guide.

Richard