[NAGDU] Rev. Blake & Southeastern Guide Dogs in her Own words

Marion Gwizdala, blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 8 21:28:01 UTC 2021

Dear All,

            Please read Rev. susan Blake's account of what happened to her
in her own words. I have not edited the following in any way!

Marion Gwizdala

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 about 12 30 PM a car drove into my driveway. I
recognized the painted logos of  Southeast Guide Dog Schoo.  A woman emerged
from the car . She called  herself Diane Miller. I had never met her before.
She said she had called while on her way from Tavares. There was no call on
my phone from her  This was my first encounter with her.  I had not seen  my
usual representative since Nov/Dec of 2019.  I had received a call mid
January from Diane announcing herself as the new rep, but I did not see that
call or listened to it until March 5th. Being visually impaired, sometimes I
don't see an entry.  There has not been any other contact with the school in
all that time. I asked Diane where the other rep  was and she said "she
isn't with our company anymor".

Diane was dressed in the usual uniform of SEGDS, tan slacks and jacket and
blue jersey.  She had no ID, forms  or paperwork.  or contracts With her
that I could see. . with her.  She presented  me with nothing. I never
thought a thing about asking for ID, Why shouldn't I trust SEGDS who always
said they "care for the handlers and dogs".

I brought Didi out and had her in the harness while she went to her car and
was making a phone call. , I asked if she wanted to see her walk, and she
said "NO", I said "all the .trainer/reps want to see them walk and work."
She said nothing.

Diane said,  about Didi,  she seems to be overweight by 4 lbs".  I looked at
her  and said "she has lost weight, and  now is  at a good weight.  I feed
her  a vegetarian kibble, Pur Vita, frutis and vegetables".

She said "she was concerned she is not eating well. Did you know about our
program where you can get a bag of food  each month and the Trifexus".

I said " I had learned a little about it from Rachel  Weeks when they were
setting it up but done nothing about it.  I said a lot of foods are not good
for the dogs and cause cancer. She said our food is from Wisconsin called
Fromm and we have salmon  and potato and another fish flavor." I did not
make much of a comment.

I said "I do not believe in Trifexus, it is like a pesticide and I didn't .
want it".

She said "I probably agaree but those items will help you out.  I feel she
is being neglected. " I said "no she isn't!"

She said " she has a stye on her eye and her eyes are cloudy."

I said "we're taking care of that with warm cloths and and this comes and
goes" .

Diane asked " have you had  the dog's eyes tested"?

I said "no because I doubted if t here was any where around here to  have
that done."

She said there were vets that gave some free shots and lower prices. She
took her phone and started reading locations; Bushness., Boynton. I said "I
can't get any where!"

She then asked " do you have rides?"

I said " no , only the para transit bus, with Lake County Connections."

She finally said there was such a vet, I do not know the name, in Eustis .

I said "I could get there if I arranged a ride."  She seemed not to be aware
of barriers fffor the blind!

Dianne never finishing that story or the one about the special food and
medication program from SEGDS.

She just continued to say  , at least 8  times or more, "you breached the
contract, I'm taking the dog."

She asked if I was up to date  with her shots.

I said she may be a little late but I wasn' t makiing trips out due to
Covid.  I said Didi and I were walking less at this time and I'd get it
taken care of. She is proably due.

I said that two months ago  we went to a new vet that was less expensive,
Lake Vetinary Clinic of 19 A. She was treated for an ear infection, and the
vet weighed her she was 75 lbs. She said she looked good and was ok with the
weight. Vet Nancy Smith said "when Didi felt better, we could attend to any
other  needs and shots.  Let's wait a bit."

I was planning to go on the 5th , the next day, of March to  get more Nexus
for the the flee control and make an appointment for follow up care and
shots etc.  I was going to call the paratransit bus later on the afternoon
of the 4th , for the 5th. But now that Didi is gone... no need  for that.

Diane askesd what vet I went to and I said Animal  Wellness with  Dr. Trac y
Wilson. She looked up the number and called and asksed when the last time I
had been there. I don't know who Diane talked to she went to the car to
call.  She said 2018 when she returned. Then she looked up address for the
new vet but did not call them. See info above for Lake Veteinary Clinic.

During the visit, Diane seemed very disinterested in the dog or interacting
with her.  She seemed cold, robotic and  emotionless. Her mantra was " You
breached the contracct and I'm taking the dog".

When she got real emphatic, I burst into tears and shouted "NO, you can't
take her!" I began to sob. I She said, you have the other dog.!  knelt on
the driveway, huged Didi, she gave me two wet kisses and I said good bye.  I
didn't know what to do, I was in pure shock,. I felt threatened, shocked,
intimidated, and I didn't know what to do..I was so scared to resist.  This
couldn't be happening. This is a terrible nightmare!

Diane detached the lead from the harness, and handed it to me.

I said "if you are taking her, what good will the leash do me"?  She took
it, reattached it to the harness and tugged on Didi and said come we're
going to the car.  She said, "she obviously loves you." I said "of course
she does" .

She asked me if I wanted another dog, and I shook my head no.

I said through tears, "will I see her again"? and she said "No"!

I couldn't even watch the car leave and I turned my back to the driveway
while she left.

I was sobbing so hard.   I have cried a river of tears. I am so sad. I am
angry. I feel lost  without my  guide.  I want my Didi girl back!!!!!!!

This was premeditated and . pre planned  and well rehearsed for this
unnannounced visit.  Great training!

Two days later, after many calls to agencies, asking for help, I was told
that the older dogs are " taken  only with excuses that the handler's broke
the contract for a weight reason usually, and is  taken away. and sold for 5
thousand dollars to off set the cost of the original guide dog teams.

I had had Didi  since graduation in May of 2013.  I have had her for almost
eight years! I love her with my whole heart. She 9.5 years old and has made
such a difference in my life. I am heartbroken, I want my dog back!!!!  We
bonded at first sight! I've had her longer than SEGDS and know her. She is
smart, loyal and protective! Already my home is empty, she isn't here for
me, even guiding me in the house in the dark! Oh I miss her  and love her,
no one could ever love her like I do!

I reflect on that incident. It happened so quickly.

This just wasn't a random visit, it was a pre calculated purposeful visit,
so well rehearsed  with the phrase, you  breach the contract, .I'm  taking
the dog.  They have taken advantage of a  blind person, with low vision,
vulnerable and alone! They probably had their eyes on Didi, the prize, for a
long time!   How many have they done this to?

What could I have done differently?

I should have run into the hosue with Didi, slammed and locked the door and
refused to surrender the dog.  I just could think, I was so scared! I had no
one to help me!

The Police were contacted, they said it was a civil contract matter and they
could do nothing.

I should have called the police while Diane was there, I didn't have my
phone in my hands,  and gotten her throw off my property.  Intimidation wsa
the name of their game!

I am a Diabetic with high blood pressure. This excessive stress is not good
for me. My blood sugars have ben up, I have no appetitie  and can't sleep.
I have cried so much my eye with sight is swollen and it's ahrd to see. This
unfortunate incident has taken its toll on me.  How is effecting Didi???

My  guide, my guide dog, my seeing eye dog dog  has  been stolen from me.  I
have been robbed of independence,mobility especially.

Didi , a guide dog is not a pet, but a way to retain independence and
freedom, safe mobility and helps to keep confidence and dignity.  This was
robbed from me.  Doesn't the bible say, t " thou shall not steal"?  I  don't
feel as protected and safe now.  Something precious beyond any amount of
money has been forcibly taken from me.  This gift of independence, that
SEGDS gave me, should never have been   taken away from me.

The SEGDS rep came unannounced. I had no  knowledge she was .coming.

They gave me no chance to do any changes or resolve any issues, or d vet
care. They could have said, have it done, we'll be back in a week.  Yes, the
last rep said she was  overweight, and helped me help her lose weight, but
she never said, if you don't get the weight down, we'll take the dog.  The
seems to be no recourse or due process  or compassion for the people or dog
involved.

1 feel I have lost my  protection, safety, security and unconditional love
from this guide dog who  has taken care of me so well.  She isn't here.
She's not here to greet me, be under my table on her bed and her chin isn't
on my foot under the computer. Her smiley bright eyes and wagging tail
aren't here for me.    I  feel so lost and alone. I can't think or function.
I keep thinking what must she be thinking. The uncertaintly, being scared
and where is my mom who takes such good care of me???!!!!

On Thursday, afternoon I had found the number and also a referrel from the
mobility instructor from New Vision for  Independence, to contact the
National Guide Dog Users Groujp and this is how I found Marion Grizdala who
has been so helpful to me and he  asked me to help speak out  about this
issue. He said at least three dogs have been taken and  clients treated this
way in the last year. I was shocked.  I was over whelmed when he said the
dogs are sold for 5K.  I also found out that giving is down  for SEGDS  from
2019 giving rates.  I guess they must have found this  money raising effort
to offset lower donation levels, but look at the price dogs and handlers are
paying!

Didi, don't forget me, I'll never for get you! We are working to bring you
home where you belong.  The angels are watching over you!

Love, you mom,,,, Susan Blake