[NAGDU] doggy repo

Sandra Johnson sljohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 17:03:19 UTC 2021

Hello Sharon:

First let me say congratulations to you and your new guide.  I hope the two of you have many years of safe travels together.  Tara was two years old when I got her.  The Guide Dog Foundation vet knew she had hip dysplasia because it showed up on the Xray that was taken one month before I got her.  By the time she turned three she had slowed down to half her speed and began to be reluctant to do steps.  My vet was very upset when he received a copy of the school Xray so he could do a comparison of how much deuteriation had occurred in one year.  My vet then recommended that she be retired but the school felt she was too young.  That started the very expensive daily meds, monthly shots and laser treatments.  It was fortunate that I had retired due to my own failing health so Tara did not have to work as much.  Then to me and my vet's horror he found cataracts when she was only six.  An examination from a Certified Canine Ophthalmologist revealed Tara had congenital cataracts that should have been diagnosed if examined by seeing the small cysts in the eyes of dogs with the hereditary trait for these cataracts.  I still remember that day with the head of the Perdue University opt homology Clinic and all her students had to tell a totally blind woman that her still young six year old golden was losing her sight.  Some of the students were crying right along with me.  I think all guide dog schools should be checking all dogs eyes before putting them out as guides.  When I applied to Pilot Dogs where I got Eva they assured me that no dog with any defect in the shoulders, knees, hips or spine would be placed as a guide.  They also said every one of their dogs receives an examination by a certified Canine Ophthalmologist before they are eligible to be matched with a student.  In my mind, that is the correct way of doing things.  It might be a bit more expensive for the schools but since most of them are near big universities I am sure they could be given some kind of discounted services.  In my 45 years of using guide dogs I have been given too many dogs with significant behavior, poor guide work and/or health issues that should have been picked up before they were matched with me.  Therefore I can say that most schools are not doing a good enough job at breeding,  screening and training  the dogs to be sure they will be suitable as guide dogs.  They should consider how disruptive it is to be matched with a dog who is not suitable.  We have to then take more time off jobs and family to seek help that is often not enough to help so then we have to start all over with another dog.  They do not consider that putting out dogs with health issues will result  in the graduate having to pay a fortune in vet bills.  If by chance a graduates dog does have health issues after graduation it should be the full responsibility of the school to pay for all above the normal vet expenses.  All of us expect the normal annual expenses for flea prevention, heart worm and vaccines but some of us on very low incomes cannot afford hundreds of dollars every month as I had to do with Tara.  Then to add to that the insult of being told upon applying for a replacement that just because I was a current graduate, they would not guaranty my acceptance for another dog.  At least some schools give preference to their current graduates.  The Guide Dog Foundation should be ashamed of themselves but, they are far too busy spending all their time and money on America's VetDogs.  I know some of you will get mad at me for saying that but it is the God's honest truth that I lived through with Tara,  Oh, I did not mention that the dog before that, Sunny, a female golden,  was sent home with a slipped disc at the end of her spine at the base of her tail.  The school tried to blame it on me but the neurosurgeon who operated on her three months after I got her home said he could see from the amount of scar tissue that the injury had occurred many months to a year before she was given to me.  He said he often sees injuries like that when young puppies fall or jump injuring their still growing spines.  I just thank God for Pilot Dogs for doing such thorough screening and excellent training.  When I brought Eva home at 14 months old  7 years ago I knew I was going home with a well trained, well behaved and perfectly healthy guide dog.

Sandra and Eva