[NAGDU] {Spam?} NAGDU and guide dog problems

Raul A. Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Sat Mar 13 00:52:47 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

This email is to answer some of the questions that have been posed on
our various lists regarding the taking of Reverend Susan Blake’s guide
dog that was issued by Southeastern Guide Dogs, (SEGDI), last week.
While I will try not to repeat much of what I said earlier this week
since most of you already read that, I will try to explain a few things
while sticking to the facts as much as possible. First and foremost, we
are outraged when we hear that a guide dog team has been split up by a
training program removing the guide dog from a person. I cannot imagine
the hurt and anger that Reverend Blake must feel from all of this. No
matter the situation, there should always be due process whenever a
school feels that a guide dog is not safe with its handler. Second, one
of the reasons I have not posted daily updates as to what NAGDU is doing
is because there are those who will see them as being defensive. While I
believe in being transparent about what we do, not operating in secret,
I also do not think it is appropriate to give a daily report of things
we do. I think that if you look at the methods used by other divisions,
chapters, and the organization in general, you will find that this is
true there as well. I hope that everyone knows that if you reach out to
me or to the board directly, we will be happy to answer questions if we
are able to.
Over the past week, there have been several hundred messages on various
lists regarding what NAGDU is doing, not doing, and how we are sitting
on our hands and how we could not care less about what happened to
Reverend Blake as well as what is happening on other fronts. and this is
simply not true. It has also been said that caring is not enough, and I
agree with this. Along with caring there needs to be action.
Unfortunately, this is where we hit a bit of a snag because of a few
things that are out of our control. Contrary to what has been said more
than once, I have reached out to Reverend Blake several times and as of
today we have only spoken once on Tuesday, March 9. By the time she and
I spoke that day, Marion Gwizdala had already shared her story and had
already resigned from the NFB. During the conversation with Reverend
Blake, one of my questions to her was how she wanted to proceed. Her
response at first was that she only wanted her guide dog back before
SEGDI gave it to someone else. Then later in the conversation she added
that she wanted an injunction against them. I listened to her
empathetically, asking her questions about her dog and why she thought
that SEGDI decided to take the dog from her. She shared several things
with me, one of which was that all they told her was that the dog was
overweight and that its vaccines were not updated. Most of what she told
me had already been shared publicly on our lists and on the web. Toward
the end of our conversation, I explained that I was going to discuss
this with the NAGDU board and with our NFB President to see what we
might be able to do. After our conversation, she emailed me a copy of
what happened. This is the same copy of the email that was posted the
day before.
Let me be frank, if I don’t know the immediate answer to something, I am
not going to push my way through blindly and hope the answer magically
materializes. This is not to come off like I am making excuses, but to
demonstrate that I take a team-based approach when it comes to solving a
problem when I do not have an immediate solution. At the end of our
conversation, I advised Reverend Blake that I would be in touch with her
later and she seemed agreeable. Unfortunately, this was the one and only
time we have spoken. I have not been able to reach her since then
because she has not responded to phone messages.
Later that same day (Tuesday), a one-sided version of my conversation
with her was shared by Marion Gwizdala on the FLAGDU list, which proved
to me that he was already helping her in his fashion, just like he said
he would on Friday, March 5 when this all began. If he had not resigned
from the NFB on Monday March 8th, we could have tried to take a
coordinated approach. However, this was no longer possible.
My personal feeling is that Marion is a wonderful resource when it comes
to advocacy and when it comes to knowing the various laws concerning
guide dog users. In fact, prior to all this happening, I considered him
a mentor and a friend, and hoped that I could continue relying on his
experience. It is my belief, and this is based on several emails that he
has publicly written concerning things that didn’t go the way he would
have liked when he was NAGDU President, that he has been unhappy with
NAGDU for a while and the incident with Reverend Blake served as the
tipping point. While I am not in the habit of calling people out
publicly as all it does is look defensive and serves no real purpose,
many things he has said about the NAGDU board and I specifically are not
true.
What I will share is a little about the two conversations we’ve had
since all this began. First, I feel that if Marion had stopped to listen
to me a little more when he and I spoke on Friday, March 5 and later
Saturday, March 6, the NAGDU board could have come up with a more
immediate solution to help Reverend Blake. Instead, Marion demanded that
the NFB hire a lawyer over the weekend so the issue could be solved by
Monday the 8th. He said that if I didn’t do something immediately, he
would, with or without the support of the NFB. Since then, there have
been many posts on the lists and on social media from people who don’t
feel that NAGDU is handling this the right way. On Saturday morning,
March 6, Marion wrote a letter to the NAGDU board and to President
Riccobono, informing us of the situation and of his disappointment in
the way I was handling things. My response to him was that we need as
much information as possible. Since he hadn’t yet provided me with
Reverend Blake’s information, and since he was convinced that SEGDI
wouldn’t speak with me without a subpoena, then there wasn’t much that
we could do. It wasn’t until Saturday evening that Marion finally gave
me Reverend Blake’s information. Since then, he has obviously done
things to help her, including participating in an ACB Radio interview.
To try and gather facts from all sides involved, I have reached out to
SEGDI to discuss their policies and contracts and to find information
regarding due process when they feel that their contract is breached.
Because Reverend Blake’s situation is not the only one that has been
shared over the years, we would like to give SEGDI a fair opportunity to
work with NAGDU or demonstrate that it is unwilling to do so.
There have also been many discussions regarding what ownership of a
guide dog truly means. Personally, I feel that whether a training
program says you own the guide dog or not, they should not be able to
come and take the dog away without following due process. Instead, if
there is a question of abuse, the proper local authorities should be
involved. This is one of the many reasons that guide dog school
contracts should be reviewed carefully. The NAGDU board’s position
regarding ownership of a guide dog is that while we feel that it is one
aspect of choosing a training program, there are other things to
consider. The NAGDU board feels that the guide dog user should have
informed choice so that the best decision can be made when choosing a
training program. If anyone chooses to attend a guide dog school where
ownership is not given again, there needs to be due process. Ownership
or not, guide dog schools must be accountable to consumers and consumer
rights. Fear not, we will be looking at making more public positions on
all this through resolutions. You all will be involved. We are your
board, but please give us time to do our work.
In closing, let me remind you that if you have questions or need to
speak with us, please email board at nagdu.org or call (832) 554-7285.
While we may not have an immediate solution to your questions and
concerns, we promise to listen, and we will help where we can.

--
Respectfully,
*Raul A. Gallegos* / President

"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." -- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan