[NAGDU] Southeastern Guide Dogs Dances the Limbo: How low can you go?

Marion Gwizdala, blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 21:30:02 UTC 2021

Please distribute the following message as widely as appropriate!

                When I first broke the story of Southeastern Guide dogs showing up unannounced to repossess Rev. susan Blake’s guide dog without cause and without due process, one defender of Southeastern stated I was out to make Southeastern look bad. Frankly, friends, Southeastern does not need my help. In a previous message about Southeastern’s immoral, unethical, and perhaps, illegal behavior, I stated Southeastern had stooped to an all-time low by publicly posting disinformation about how Rev. Susan blake was treated and the misinformation they publicly released. I did not think they could stoop any lower. I was very, very wrong!

                Today Southeastern guide Dogs sent Rev,. Blake a message advising her that their Appeals Committee had met to discuss the case and have arrived at a  unanimous decision to not return Didi. Keep in mind this is the same Kangaroo Court of Southeastern staff that made their initial decision to take Rev. Blake’s dog in the first place. Did this appeals committee present any evidence of abuse or neglect that would be regarded as imminent danger to the dog? Did this appeals committee allow Rev. Blake to present her side of the issue? Was Rev. Blake afforded a advocate? Was Rev. Blake allowed to present evidence to dispute the assertions of Southeastern? Did Southeastern offer a remedial plan with oversight to correct any perceived challenges? Absolutely not! This same group of high-handed, paternalistic, authoritarians met to see if they could change their own minds! Of course, Southeastern will say they employed due process because it is their process. Let’s have a collective head scratch and a chorus of, “What?”

                Rev. Susan Blake has a document entitled “Transfer of Ownership”. Southeastern Guide Dogs forcibly removed Rev. Blake’s property without her consent, the definition of theft. When I spoke with Mount dora’s Deputy chief of Police Al rollins this afternoon, He said, “Just when I thought I have seen and heard everything, I hear this!” He is personally interviewing Rev. Blake and I have shared my lay opinion on how florida statute applies to this case and why Southeastern should be charged with theft. As a review, here are the pertinent statutes.

According to Florida law, “Property of another” means property in which a person has an interest             upon which another person is not privileged to infringe without consent, whether or not the other person also has an interest in the property.” 812.012(5) f.s.) According to the agreement Rev. Blake signed, Southeastern transferred ownership of the dog to her. Even if we agree Southeastern has an interest in the dog, this law is very clear that Southeastern does not have the right to infringe upon Rev. Blake’s right to possess her property without her Consent which she clearly did not give. Florida law further states, “A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently: (a) Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property. (b) Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.” 812.014(1) f.s.) since Southeastern has deprived Rev. Blake of her property and has appropriated the property to their own use, apparently preparing to sell it to another for $5,000 ( <https://www.guidedogs.org/public-adoption/> https://www.guidedogs.org/public-adoption/), Southeastern has committed theft and has sold stolen property, third degree felonies in the state of Florida. 813.014(b)(1) f.s.)

                Though we believe Southeastern guide Dogs committed theft and should be criminally charged, we also believe Southeastern is obligated to engage in due process. Therefore, we are planning to move forward with civil litigation to settle the dispute. Such a case could have very widespread implications for other guide dog training programs employing such tactics. Attorneys with whom we have presented our case seem to agree; however, none have the desire to help without a sizable retainer. We did have one attorney tell us he wished he lived in Florida, as he is not licensed here.

                What Southeastern Guide Dogs is doing is unconscionable. They must be held accountable! The only way to hold them accountable is through a court of law mandating they must employ due process. Without due process, Southeastern consumers have no protections to oppose their immoral, unethical behavior. Holding Southeastern accountable will also put other programs behaving in a similarly immoral, unethical, and illegal manner on notice while encouraging other Southeastern graduates to resist their bullying behavior!

Help hold Southeastern Guide Dogs and all training programs who treat blind consumers with disregard accountable by going to the Go fund Me page set up for Rev. Susan Blake. All funds that are unused will be donated to the guide dog training program that trains Rev. Blake’s new dog should she choose to do so. The below link is quite long, so it may appear broken; bring the pieces together in your browser and it will work!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-bring-didi-home-to-susan-blake?utm_source=customer <https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-bring-didi-home-to-susan-blake?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1> &utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789

Blind411 at verizon.net