[NAGDU] Guide dog problems

Marion Gwizdala, blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 18 19:16:13 UTC 2021

	I have said this for 34 years! I have questioned programs publicly,
met with them privately, introduced resolutions to call them to task some of
which passed but the most important one failed on the flor, and have heard
the heartbreaking stories of guide dog users treated unfairly. It is
absolutely true that many will not stand up and make their voices heard
because of the fear that is instilled by some programs. There is no secret
some of them talk about us when they should not! I believe every program
asks if you have had a guide dog before and from whom. Should we lie or just
not rock the boat? Some teams deteriorate unnecessarily because graduates
avoid calling the programs when it first happens, waiting until it might be
too late to fix because they do not want to be seen as unsuccessful, unsafe,
or incompetent, all reasons outlined in their paternalistic contract as
reasons to remove a dog. I have been saying these things for 34 years and I
hope you now understand why!

Marion

Marion Gwizdala
(813) 626-2789