[NAGDU] Guide Dog School Appeals

Sharon S koala at areujoking.com
Sat Mar 20 03:25:26 UTC 2021

Hi, when I contacted my school about retiring Rolo they sent a trainer to my
house I had never delt with before. This trainer obviously didn't read our
file properly because at first he seemed reluctant to go ahead with the
retirement. You see I had only had Rolo for five years but he was with a
previous owner before so I got him when he was five or so. So all the
trainer had seen were we had been together for five years so he thought it
was a bit early to retire him. The trainer asked me Rolo's age and when I
said he was nearly ten his whole attitude changed and he was happy for the
retirement to go ahead. I did mention to the school when I made the first
contact that Rolo had been making big errors in judgement which the last
time required some major dental work for me so this is why I was retiring
him. Once the trainer knew his age and I had explained about his errors he
was quite happy to retire Rolo and put me on the list for a new dog. The
school was quite happy for me to keep Rolo and we went through the paperwork
to change ownership over to me.

The funny thing is towards the end of his working life Rolo avoided me
whenever I had the harness out showing me he really didn't want to work.
However, now whenever I get the harness out for my new dog Rolo comes over
happy to be harnessed up. I would have thought he would sit back and be
happy for a younger dog to take over, after all he is eleven now and
enjoying retirement.

Bye for now.
>From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.