[NAGDU] Fwd: [FLAGDU] Sarasota Herald Tribune on Susan blake & didi

Debbie Malone dmalone510 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 21:24:08 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Debbie Malone <dmalone510 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 29, 2021 at 5:21 PM
Subject: Fwd: [FLAGDU] Sarasota Herald Tribune on Susan blake & didi
To: <nagdu-subscribe at nfbnet.org>

For your information....

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Marion Gwizdala via FLAGDU <flagdu at nfbnet.org>
Date: Sat, May 29, 2021 at 1:03 PM
Florida Tampa Chapter List <nfbf-tampa at nfbnet.org>, <flagdu at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Marion Gwizdala <marion.gwizdala at verizon.net>

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

Blind woman reunited with guide dog after having it 'repossessed'

Chris Anderson Sarasota Herald-Tribune

March 28, 2021

On the day they took Didi away, a blind woman's world grew even darker.
Depression set in, hopelessness, even thoughts that maybe life was not worth
living, not without her guide dog and companion of eight years. She had
nightmares, attended grief counseling, and for 77 straight days, all she
could do was wonder: What is Didi doing right now, this minute, and is she
OK? Susan Blake said she was shocked when a representative from Southeastern
Guide Dogs showed up at her house in Mount Dora in March and took Didi back
to Palmetto. What gave them the right? Actually, they claimed, a contract
did.

According to a document signed by both parties, Southeastern Guide Dogs
could repossess' a dog if it is not being properly cared for, and the
organization alleged Didi, a black Labrador, was dangerously overweight,
sick, needed surgery and was prone to stray from home.. Blake said that,
yes, Didi could lose a few, and OK, she was behind on some shots, but
otherwise she was fine. Blake said she had not heard from anyone at
Southeastern Guide Dogs for a year until the day someone showed up and
pulled the dog out of my arms like a suitcase. The organization eventually
gave Didi to some people in Lake City, who had raised her as a puppy. They
had no right to come into my yard and swoop her up out of my arms,' said
Blake. That is theft.'

The 66-year-old Blake, who has been visually impaired since being born
premature, though she does have some sight, sought the help of an animal
attorney in Gainesville named Marcy LaHart. She was able to secure a writ of
replevin from a judge, declaring Blake owner of the dog, and it was returned
to her on May 20.  A final hearing on the matter is set for next month.

'We are surprised and concerned about this development, as our priority has
been and remains the wellbeing and health of Didi,' said Muffy Lavens, media
relations manager at Southeastern Guide Dogs. We are evaluating our options
before determining next steps.'

Marion Gwizdala, an advocate for guide dogs who worked with Blake, said it
is possible a lawsuit will be filed in the future against Southeastern Guide
Dogs.  What we are hoping to do is put Southeastern Guide Dogs and other dog
training programs on notice,' said Gwizdala. If you are going to take our
dogs away we're not going to sit by idly and let you do it. What they did
was cruel and abusive.'

Everything's not as it was in the relationship, considering the 9-year-old
Didi was gone 77 days. Didi is a little hesitant to go to the spot where she
was removed, and Blake says she has a fear the dog could be taken away
again. But the dog's personality is slowly returning, and she is back to
chewing on her teddy bear, chasing her ball and providing a sense of
independence to her owner. I keep looking down,' said Blake, and saying, 'I
can't believe you're here. I can't believe you're here. It's a miracle.
There is a happy ending to this because she's home where she belongs. She's
not going out of my sight now.'

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789

Marion.Gwizdala at verizon.net