[NAGDU] food rewards and guidework

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 14:09:33 UTC 2021

Greetings, wag wag, and the like!

First, Mike Hingson, you made a great presentation yesterday on mutual
trust between our dogs and ourselves.

Second, if I heard correctly, Mike suggested that there are times when
you can use a food reward during guidework.  If I'm wrong, please
correct me.  If I'm right, can anybody tell me what situations might be
good for that?  I was leery of clicker training when I first heard of
Seeing Eye doing it because of the food involved, but, other than
teaching my dog to take me to a particular place or thing, I did not use
the clicker, and I did not use food at any time as a work reward.  Since
class in 2018, I've used food as a reward only during the bit of clicker
training I've done--for example, in trying to get him to put his nose on
the knob of the front door.

I was leery of clicker training because, as you might expect, I wondered
how long that training would stick after the food ran out.  Praise is at
least something I always have, with no danger of putting it in my pocket
for the trip.  I've also seen that, with the doorknob I used the clicker
for, he will eventually respond to the magic phrase associated with the
clicker, but without the food and the clicker I almost always have to
use it two or three times.

What do people think?  Am I missing something?

Best!

Al