[NAGDU] food rewards and guide work

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Sep 20 15:11:53 UTC 2021

No. You aren't missing anything. To describe it again, the clicker is an absolute demarcation for something your dog does right. As you suggested, putting his nose on a doorknob and immediately clicking tells him he did a good thing. Following that with a food reward greatly emphasizes our approval.

As far as using food rewards during guiding, again, not all the time. When you are trying to get your dog to do something, possibly something they are hesitant about doing, when they perform well deserves a food reward. You may even do it two or three times, but never constantly. If you have to use a food reward several times to get the behavior you want, you must gradually decrease giving rewards. The reward should be to acknowledge good behavior, not something that should always be expected. Again, you may find that getting the desired behavior may also be reinforced by using the clicker and then a food reward. Again, not forever. You must back off both as the behavior is accomplished.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson