[NAGDU] Guide Dog Programs in the States

Leye-Shprintse Oeberg leyeshprintse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 02:34:17 UTC 2022

BS’D

Hi,

I’ve been an active and passive member of this list for years now. In December, my beloved guide dog Hera crossed the rainbow bridge at the age of 12, it went very quickly 6 months after her retirement. Thanks G-d, I was there for her till the end with the support of my mother and Hera’s favorite person after me. The pain is still real, I miss her everyday and I cannot talk about her without crying. However, I know that I want to have another guide dog in the future, G-d willing. I lived in Europe before but since 3 months ago, I have been in the United States and I’ll stay here because I’ve met an American man who I’ll marry in less than 6 weeks, G-d willing.

I wonder which guide dog programs in the United States use positive training metods and give ownership upon graduation since those two questions ahe most important for me when applying to programs? How long is the waitingtime now after the pandemic? Will the American guide dog programs take into consideration that I’m  a guide dog user even if Hera and I were trained through the Swedish system, I do not want to be treated as a first time guide dog user since Hera and I got 9.5 years as a guide dog team? Can I apply now, I don not have my Green Card yet nor a work permit but I am civilly married already?

Thank you for your support!

לשלום,
Leye-Shprintse Oeberg
Brooklyn (N.Y.), United States