[NAGDU] Guide Dog Programs in the States

Sarah Calhoun sc-tico at att.net
Thu Aug 11 14:20:41 UTC 2022

Hi Al,

As a recent graduate of Gallant Hearts, you have joint ownership of the dog. I know everyone has their own views and reasons regarding dual ownership verses full ownership. For me, I like the "safety net" knowing if something happens to me and my family can't care for Meghan, she would be cared for by Gallant Hearts. I don't think this would happen as all of my family members are in love with Meghan, but you never know.

I have experienced a guide dog school not wanting to care for a retired dog. In 2011, a notice went out on another list I am on, saying a retired guide dog was found abandoned on a country road. She had her collar on with the tag from the school and her ID number. The school was called, they tried contacting the owner without any luck. The school gave the caller the dog's name, Miah.

Long story short, I adopted Miah knowing she was in kidney failure with a life expectancy of 6 months. She lived for 16 months! When I adopted Miah, I called the school as well, giving them my name and contact in the event the owner contacted the school. Again, the school would not care for Miah, but at this point I was not going to give her back anyway. I was surprised on this school's non-action of one of their dogs.

So, for me and my experience, I am comfortable with dual ownership. Just my thoughts.

Best,
Sarah and GH Meghan