[NAGDU] My letter to Santa

Sarah Calhoun sc-tico at att.net
Tue Dec 20 01:27:22 UTC 2022

Dear Santa, Hey, it's me again, Sarah. The other day I saw you in the mall,
when I started to wave you quickly ducked behind a sugarplum. I wanted to
tell you this is the second year I have kept my promise and not ask for a
private jet.

Speaking of asking, I would like to make a Christmas wish. No, it is not
that one about house cleaning for the rest of my life by the 8 merry maids a
milking. That sleigh has sailed.

Just like each individual snowflake swirling around making changes to the
scenery, life has the same way of making unexpected changes in the lives of
people. When 2023 arrives, it will be my 17th year as being partnered with a
guide dog.  The first time I placed my hand on the harness handle and said
"forward", my self-esteem and independence returned accompanied by tears of
joy!

My wish this year, that all ride share services such as Uber and Lyft stop
refusing, denying and canceling rides to those who are blind or visually
impaired and travel with a guide dog.  Even though it is against the law
under the American's with Disability Act (ADA) which is under the Department
of Justice (DOJ), some Uber and Lyft drivers continue to deny transportation
to guide dog teams.  Santa, could you imagine what would happen if your
reindeers refused you transportation by telling you no, we don't want to
travel with you and that big red velvety bag of toys!

Please Santa, this wish is for many, many guide dog teams. If you could
spread some education, care and concern during the holiday season to help
open doors of understanding so people with guide dogs can schedule
transportation without fear of it being canceled. This gift would be
celebrated throughout the year and years to come!

By the way, when you visit my house, your plate of cookies and mug of milk
will be on top of the mantle next to the evergreens and red berries. If I
put them under the tree, my guide dog, Lakota would gobble them up in the
blink of Rudolph's red nose! Thank you Santa! Merry Christmas and jingle all
the way!

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Calhoun