[NAGDU] dealing with incontinence in my retired guide, any advice welcome

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Mon Feb 14 23:21:35 UTC 2022

Happy Valentine's Day to all,

I'm reaching out because so many of us have had the experience I'm going
through with my 14 year old retired guide Fallon. We've been challenged with
her incontinence for over six months. It was caused originally by chronic
UTI's, and my vet has tried several antibiotics, only to have the problem
return in a couple weeks. The vet thinks vaginitis may be part of the
culprit as well, so I've been using Panalog for  that issue. I've also tried
Proin, a pill which is often effective in strengthening muscles of the
bladder. It didn't seem to help.

My current effort is with an antibiotic which the vet thinks we should just
keep her on, decreasing the dosage as much as possible. But she's still
leaking urine throughout the day. As you can imagine, this is impacting our
lives daily. I was planning our trip over to visit our daughter in Orlando,
but now I'm starting to have second thoughts, even though the family is very
understanding. Our granddaughter loves Fallon and would be very sad if we
don't bring her.

I'm now considering the dreaded diaper approach, but have never heard that
they can be used with any success.

So, after reading this tale of woe, any and all suggestions are welcome.
This thread would be okay on the list of course, but please feel free to
email me privately at

Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net <mailto:Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net>

Thanks in advance for any help. We surely need it.

Sherrill