[NAGDU] Home again

Don Marr dpm51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 18:23:57 UTC 2022

Great news, Tracy, don

-----Original Message-----
From: NAGDU <nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Tracy Carcione via NAGDU
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 1:14 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
<nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Tracy Carcione <carcione at access.net>
Subject: [NAGDU] Home again

Igloo and I came home today.  I'm a bit tired.  Not sure how he feels, but
he's lying quietly next to me.  We'll go out for a little walk in a bit.
Krokus is being a bit of an idiot, wanting to play, but he's settling down.
Igloo is in the on-leash phase of homecoming for a while, and I don't want
them getting all rambunctious until they know each other a bit.

We had a great class.  My instructor was very patient in helping me break
some bad retrain habbits.  Now I have to keep it up.  I feel like I really
learned stuff in class, which is great.

Igloo continues to be a great guide.  He's run some curbs, bumped a few
things, and we've had a few wonky crossings we had to rework, but every
time, when we reworked, he did great.  We've only been together 2 weeks, so
mistakes are to be expected from both of us.  He's fast and  easy to
correct, and he listens to me and tries to do what I want.  A trainer
brought us home this morning, and we took a short walk so I could ask her
about a couple crossings and get started targeting a couple things.  It was
amazing to zip along in places where Krokus and I had been crawling.
Judging by the familiar routes we worked in training, he'll stay reasonably
fast, even when it's the same-old.

We went into New York City last Friday.  He was great!  We took the subway,
and he was fine.  We walked along the platform for a bit, and he kept me
well away from the edge.  We walked about 18 blocks in midtown, and he got 2
traffic checks, some pedestrian checks, trotted past a flock of pigeons, and
ignored all the garbage on the ground.  I was thrilled!

It was a lot of anxiety getting into class, but it was worth it.  He's
everything I wanted. I couldn't be more pleased.

Tracy

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dpm51%40earthlink.net

https://www.avg.com