[NAGDU] post-convention updates from the NAGDU board

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Sat Jul 16 17:22:52 UTC 2022

Hello everyone, I hope that everyone is having a great summer and
staying safe. This email is to share a few updates concerning NAGDU at
national convention. Instead of responding to individual messages that
have been posted over the past week, I will summarize things as best as
I can.

The NAGDU Board of Directors. I'd like to introduce the new board as it
stands after elections at convention. To contact the board, you can
email board at nagdu.org. To contact an individual member, use the first
initial plus the last name @nagdu.org, as in rgallegos at nagdu.org or
scook at nagdu.org.

President Raul Gallegos, Texas

Vice President Paul Sandoval, Colorado

Secretary Stacie Gallegos, Texas

Treasurer Jessica Snyder, Ohio

Board Member Al Elia, New York

Board Member Brianna Murray, New Jersey

Board Member Steve Cook, South Carolina

Dog Relief Area. This year at convention, NAGDU took a more proactive
role concerning the dog relief area. Because we hired an outside company
to maintain it, we also held a 50/50 raffle to help fund this expense.
Furthermore, we accepted and are accepting donations to help pay for
this cost. The outside pooper scooper company was in charge of cleaning
the area located in the valet parking area of the Marriott. I had a
chance to meet them, and was able to explain a few things concerning
what to expect and a few other logistical things concerning how we have
maintained the dog relief area in the past. Since this is the first time
we have done this, we are looking for feedback from those who attended
in person concerning their experiences.

Resolutions. This year, NAGDU submitted two resolutions, which passed.
The resolutions were written by Vice President Paul Sandoval with Stacie
and Raul Gallegos contributing. Both resolutions were concerned with the
continued denials by Uber and Lyft drivers when a blind person with a
guide dog wants to travel. NAGDU will be working with our national
organization to move forward with this. One nice surprise, was that a
Lyft representative was able to join us during the business meeting and
was able to answer a lot of questions and take feedback to give back to
Lyft.

Seminar and Business Meetings. Our seminar and business meetings were
successful and were packed with a lot of information. The topic for the
seminar was, awareness is everybody's business, and it focused on
learning best methods of self-advocating and knowing what your rights
and responsibilities are as a guide dog user. The business meeting was
equally packed with information. As already mentioned, we heard from a
Lyft representative, and we also heard the latest in legal updates from
Tim Elder and Al Elia. In addition to the NAGDU yearly report, we also
heard from various state guide dog user divisions and committees.

The Zoom Broadcast. There has been a lot of chatter on the list about
the quality of the Zoom broadcast during the seminar and business
meetings. I realize and acknowledge that there were issues with people
not being able to hear and a few technical issues concerning the screen
reader voice which made things even more difficult to hear. This year,
as in past years, we used a laptop computer to broadcast. As what tends
to happen, things beyond our control changed at the last minute. To my
knowledge, only NAGDU, and maybe one or two other divisions of the NFB
offered a virtual meeting experience. This is something that we are not
obligated to do, but are very much interested in doing while we have the
resources. With this in mind, we will take better steps with the
technical issues. One solution is to hire the hotel to do the technical
setup, so all we need to do is show up, plug in our equipment, and start
broadcasting. As you can imagine, this option is not our first choice
since it is quite expensive. Another option is to have a dedicated
person handle the technical aspect of broadcasting the meeting.
Preferably someone who is already at convention and doesn't mind
volunteering their expertise to make it a better experience. This is
what we tried this year, and while the fine folks who assisted with this
are truly technical and know what they are doing, things happened which
were out of their control. My thanks go out to Paul Sandoval and Steve
Cook for everything they did on the technical side considering the
challenges. If you are going to come to convention in the future and
would like to volunteer your technical and audio expertise to make
things even better, we will be open to considering your assistance.

In closing, we would like to hear from you concerning your experience
with the NAGDU meetings and with the dog relief area. If you visit
https://nagdu.org/national-convention you will find two survey links.
One survey is for the NAGDU meetings, and one is for the dog relief
area. This survey will be open until Friday, July 22. We welcome all
constructive feedback and we will use this feedback to improve things
wherever appropriate. If you need assistance with filling out the
survey, please email board at nagdu.org and we will be happy to help.

--

Respectfully,
*Raul A. Gallegos* / President