[NAGDU] Tooth Paste

Marj Schneider marjschneider at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 5 16:53:17 UTC 2022

Greetings Al and Everyone,

To add a few of the finer points to my earlier email about making your
own baking soda tooth paste, I use a half-cup size container, and I
don't fill it entirely, because I'm dipping out a small amount for the
bottom teeth and then another small amount for the top teeth and that
means a bit of my dog's saliva gets mixed with the paste. After a few
weeks, it's not all that fresh and tends to get watery. At that point I
start over with a fresh batch. The baking soda is abrasive, so you want
to brush gently, but it will break down tartar and prevent more from
forming. Frequent brushing of our own teeth with baking soda isn't a
good idea, but it's safe for dogs.

I use a quarter teaspoon of coconut oil to make the consistency smoother
and more like a paste, and though the amount is small it may also be
somewhat antibacterial. Coconut oil is solid when temps are at all cool,
so you want to be sure you get it mixed in. If you don't otherwise use
it, just buy a smaller quantity and store it somewhere cool and dark,
even in the fridge if you have room. It will keep for a long time
without going rancid.

As for the cube of beef or chicken broth you might use, this comes in
cans or boxes and if you don't use it for cooking, make it into ice
cubes that will be ready to be melted and used in your paste.

Beyond the cube of meat broth, you will be adding only a small amount of
water, but if you add too much and your paste is too thin, just add more
baking soda. The recipe is a very forgiving one, and you'll learn
through experimentation what consistency of paste you and your dog prefer.

Don't forget to keep it refrigerated between teeth brushings.

    1. Re: tooth paste (Al Sten-Clanton)

Re: [NAGDU] tooth paste.eml