[NAGDU] re-posting: books on guide dogs

Sherry Gomes sherry.gomes at outlook.com
Mon Oct 31 19:58:52 UTC 2022

If you don't mind books generally for or about young people, here are a couple.

Follow my leader
Written in 1957 I think. Doesn't name any specific school, but if you've gone to a particular one you would recognize it by the street names. I read this book when I was seven, and though at the time, I had no idea what blind mobility and orientation was, I vowed right then that I would get one of those guide dogs someday. I had cane mobility from eight grade through graduating from high school, and my instructor knew I wanted to get a dog, some in the last year, she helped me learn some transition skills from a cane to a dog. I got my first dog, age 17, after high school, in 1975. All that nonsense to say this book inspired me and I never gave up on that dream. It also has a very positive view of blindness for the times.

Steve and the guide dogs
I don't know if this is available anymore, but this takes a different look at things and is about a teenage boy raising guide dog puppies.