[NAGDU] My experience flying on United

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Tue Jul 4 12:16:46 UTC 2023

I was quite anxious about flying, with good reason, listening to people's
experiences last night.  I talked about it quite a lot on this list, so I
thought I'd say how it went.

Getting the form done and uploaded was a pain, and I got a printout to carry
with me.  Now I know I should have gotten 2 printouts.

No one asked me to see the form at all.  I just trotted up to my gate and
boarded, no trouble at all.  I was worried Igloo would stick a paw over into
someone else's space and they would complain.  He occasionally did do that,
but my seatmates didn't mind.

There were a lot of badly-behaved dogs in the airport who barked at Igloo.
I didn't hear their handlers doing anything to curb them except saying Hush
with no real effect.

On my first flight there was another service dog, and he was very quiet and
good.  I wouldn't have known he was there, except his handler sat behind me
and was asking about Igloo.  It was an owner-trained dog.  I didn't ask what
tasks he did; I figured it wasn't really any of my business.

Anyway, I'm happy and relieved to say I had a good experience with United,
once I got the damned form filled out.

Tracy