[NAGDU] Veterinarian Advocacy

Julie A. Orozco kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:16:36 UTC 2023

O yes, you have every reason to be upset.

I took my first dog to a new vet shortly before she retired. Before I
knew what was happening, the vet was taking her back outside the room
without me. Everything happened so fast I didn't know what to do. No
one warned me my dog would be taken away. I thought this vet had
simply taken my dog to begin examining her. It was terrible. I didn't
have a cane with me, and no one told me how long they would be with my
dog. After that I will never let any vet take my dog out of my
presence for an examination. If there's surgery or something else,
that's a different story. I have also made this clear with every vet.
Even during Covid, I refused to wait outside the vet's office and
would go in with my dog.

I would absolutely follow up and fight this. You need to be with your
dog during examinations for so many reasons.

Julie

On 7/10/23, Brent Franklin via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hello Rachel,
>
> Good to hear that you decided to take your dog to convention, I had been
> wondering what you would do. Good decision.
>
> I'm thinking you have done the right thing as far as this vet is concerned.
> I would go further and explain that it takes no extra staff member to be
> present for you to walk with your dog to the doctors room, and as it is a
> Guide Dog you require to be present with your dog at every stage. Explain
> being blind actually makes it easier on everyone if you are present, because
> at times you might need to show the doctor something or the doctor might
> need to show you something. Communication is key, and you could explain
> being present with your dog is the very best way to communicate with the
> doctor.
>
> I'm sure that should work, and if it doesn't suggest a trial of your way so
> that everyone working there can be put at ease. Now if that doesn't work it
> is time to find another vet.
>
> You have the right to be present with your dog, and just be as diplomatic at
> getting this point across.
>
> I can admit I've never struck this problem, and I'd be very pissed off if I
> did.
>
> Rachel, let us know how this works out, and the very best of luck.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Brent.

Julie A. Orozco
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of
Law, JD Candidate 2023