[NAGDU] for Cindy

Julie A. Orozco kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:23:36 UTC 2023

If schools in fact prefer younger people, they are just doing
themselves a disservice. Most people are working hybrid schedules
these days anyway where they only go into the office a couple times a
week.

I am also waiting on my next dog and finding a school switch
necessary. It's pretty scary to switch schools, but no one should hold
it against you.

Julie

On 7/18/23, Lisa Belville via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi, Richard.
>

> I agree with your thoughts.  It does seem that as we age schools want
> younger people; probably because there are no chronic health conditions
> that require much beyond the cookie cutter approach as far as training
> is concerned.  I also think some of it has to do with the fact that
> younger, working people have access to better training.  In my state
> rehab only pays for O&M if you want to work, go to school, or are
> currently working.  Anyone over fifty-five who doesn't or can't work
> won't t get much help at all.  I live in a rural area, and I think many
> of these schools, because they're located in more metropolitan areas
> don't seem to understand that not all of us have access to the same
> opportunities.
>

> I also think the reps doing the in-home interviews have a lot to do with
> whether you are accepted or not.  I was rejected from one school because
> the rep took me in an area I'd never walked in before, then told me I
> needed more O&M.  This person also didn't approve of my older
> neighborhood with it's mix of old and new houses and terrible
> sidewalks.  Oh, and the fact that I like to visit my retired guides
> seemed to have bothered him as well because it was stressful on the dogs.
>

> I've attended two schools in the nearly thirty years I've handled dogs.
> Making the first switch was hard and felt like I was cheating on the
> other school, but it was worth it.
>

> Good luck to all of us currently waiting on that next dog.
>

> Lisa
>

> Lisa Belville
> missktlab1217 at frontier.com
>
> On 7/18/2023 10:24 AM, Richard via NAGDU wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> I too had similar questions.  Some schools have become a bit particular as
>> to whom they will accept.  I have found they tend to prefer younger people
>> who are going to work five days a week.  I wouldn't be at all reluctant to
>> go school shopping.  I have had seven dogs from three different schools
>> each
>> of which was right for me at that time.
>>
>> Best of luck and don't give up.
>>
>> Richard

>> NAGDU:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/missktlab1217%40frontier.com

Julie A. Orozco
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of
Law, JD Candidate 2023