[NAGDU] for Cindy

Sherry Gomes sherry.gomes at outlook.com
Tue Jul 18 16:39:50 UTC 2023

I switched schools after over 40 years with my original school. It broke my heart when they denied me, because I knew so many people on staff, and I had worked there at one point, so many were friends. It felt like getting kicked out of my family, in a way, and to this day, I think their decision was completely wrong. However, two other schools accepted me, even with my physical limitations, and now I have my wonderful guiding eyes guide Shani. I won't ever let myself feel a guide dog school is like family again, but to be fair, I was only seventeen the first time I trained at the first school. But I love Shani, find her an incredible guide and companion, to the point that I keep telling people, gosh, I forgot a guide dog could be like this, a smart and eager working, and a sweet and lovely companion at home. All that to say that switching schools can be very positive in the end.