[NAGDU] Guide dogs and Toddlers

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Tue Jul 18 18:58:04 UTC 2023

Hello Julie, this is a great question. I will answer what I can.
Disclaimer. my children are grown now, therefore, my information will be
around 15 years or more out of date. Please keep this in mind when
considering what I say. I hope that parents who have younger children
now will also chime in for a differing point of view.

First and foremost, when my children were younger, I had a different dog
than the one I have now. The dog at the time was a black lab, great with
kids, and for a lab, not as food motivated, which basically meant that
he would eat something if offered, but would not automatically swoop
down to vacuum things the second they dropped onto the floor. This leads
into a suggestion if you are concerned with food, I have heard that some
people will go with a dog that is not as food driven as Labradors are.

In terms of playgrounds and tracking kids. I never thought to use my
guide dog to assist with tracking kids. However, now that I think about
it, although my dog was a kid-magnet, he tended to take me toward my
kids first over other kids. I just never saw this as a reliable method,
and like I said, never pursued it. To track my kids, I had them wear
pipe squeaker shoes. I also had them wear key finders. These were the
kinds that would chime if you whistled. I'm not sure if they are even
made any more. Now with Apple air tags and tiles that can chime via your
phone app, maybe the key finders are obsolete. My kids learned how to
walk quietly so the shoes would not squeak, but it turned into a game,
and it still worked out for me over the long term. I do not remember
ever specifically going or not going to playgrounds or my children's
school with or without my guide dog. So, I can only guess that it was
never an issue for me. As for playground equipment, I would take my dog,
but I always had a cane handy in case. As a matter of fact, I still
always have a cane handy for those situations where the dog is not
communicating the information I need, but that's a discussion for
another topic.

In terms of the kind of dog I had, I lived in Denver at the time and it
is a big city. My dog was able to handle city sidewalks, traffic, office
work, kids, playground, and all kinds of things. About the only thing
that my dog could not handle well was traveling inside air ports and bus
stations. However, that would have been an issue regardless of the age
of my children.

In terms of traveling, I used two methods. First was a stroller with a
pivoting handle that could be moved to the front. This meant that I
could pull the stroller behind me while my child was still facing
forward. this allowed me to work my dog or cane with little issue. For
those times when I did not have this kind of stroller, I simply reversed
the regular one and my kids got to ride backwards. My son didn't care
for this but my daughter had issues with it, which I eventually worked
out with the fancier stroller. Second was a hiker baby/toddler carrier.
I got one from a sporting good store, and wore it to carry my young kids
when traveling. When it wasn't too hot and when they weren't too big,
this was a great way to travel. It was fun too for them, because
eventually, they could reach branches and they would pull stuff onto
daddy's hair as a game.

Circling back to the food issue. Whether my kids ate from a high chair
or from the table, I kept my dog away as best as I could during this
time. Kids are smart and will eventually figure out that if they don't
want to eat something, there will be a furry creature in the house who
will be happy to take over. As the fake Alastor Moody from book 4 of
harry Potter was fond of saying, "Constant vigilance" is key in this
situation. To help with this, I would often keep my dog in the other
room. At the time, I also did not have room for a crate in my apartment,
but a tie down helped for those situations where the dog was truly being
a dog and forgot his down-stay command.

As to your final comment, I am not one of those parents who found it
difficult working a dog while caring for my children. However, I, too,
have heard similar from others.

I did not answer your questions in the order presented, but I still hope
my message is helpful to you and to others.

Raul Gallegos / President
National Association of Guide Dog Users
346.439.7444 | RGallegos at nagdu.org
https://www.nagdu.org