[NAGDU] for Cindy

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 12:11:59 UTC 2023

So, I don’t know about the federal government, but I know that every state has different laws, regarding what their agencies can provide to which age groups, and classifications of people. Some states have much better systems for meeting with needs of older blind folks than others. Also, and to make this related to guide dog use, the Volk rehab issue is a little bit complicated and self reinforcing. For instance, some individuals do better with a cane and a dog, and some do better with a dog, that a cane, and so, when you mentor someone or write a reference for them, you take a gamble. There are some people who don’t travel nearly as much as they should, and Ken, but once they get a guy dog, they travel a lot, and give the dog plenty of work. But if they’ve never had a dog before, it’s a little hard to guess whether they will be one of those folks who increases their activity and gives their dog plenty of work once they have one, or if their current pattern  of activity will continue even after they obtain a dog. This is similar to the Volk rehab issue. Many newly blind folks don’t have any vocational goals, because they don’t know that they can, they don’t know what options are out there. And if they got the training they needed, many of them might decide to sue a vocational goal. But until unless they get the training to realize their potential, they wouldn’t even realize that vocational goal is something that they can, and maybe should pursue.  But it is understandable, why the government is hesitant, to throw a lot of money and effort into folks, who may never go out and try to work another day in their life. So it’s a very difficult balance, and a difficult guessing game, even when it is an educated, guessing game, to play.

Just my two cents for now, and, of course, any dictation errors are just that, dictation errors. Have a great day everyone.

Sent from my iPhone