[NAGDU] Upcoming UBER Town Hall Session

Al Elia al.elia at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 18:50:00 UTC 2023

Richard – While there are issues surrounding blind access to
self-driving cars and rideshares, there are several reasons why that is
not an issue for this town hall:

1.  right now the only place where Uber is using AVs is in a limited
pilot program inn Las Vegas, and those AVs have humans behind the wheel
for safety (and presumably for access);
2. Uber has partnered with Motional to provide AV passenger service.
Motional has also partnered with Lyft, so if we are concerned about
ridehailing an AV from Lyft or Uber, we should address those concerns to
Motional;
3. Mos importantly, guide dog users are being denied all over the
country now, and some white cane users are also being denied because
they are blind. Those are issues that affect us right now and that will
continue to affect us for the foreseeable future, since Uber is not
going to be able to replace all of its driven cars for at least a decade
or more..

For what its worth,  I’m far less worried about a driverless car
denyying us because we use canes or dogs, or because we are blind. I
expect denials will cease entirely once the drivers are gone. In the
meantime, NFB is working with AV companies to ensure accessibility
generally, not just for rideshares. That is where any questions or
concerns about self-driving vehicles should be directed.

That said, if you would like to raise the issue of not being dropped off
in the correct location by human drivers, and how Uber might educate
drivers on that issue, that would be a proper topic for this town hall.

I hope that addresses your inquiry.

/Æ