[NAGDU] list of guide dog commands and what they do

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 23:32:39 UTC 2023

I wrote out all of the commands my dog was taught from the program a
while back so here you go. My guide is from the Guide Dog Foundation
if anyone is curious.

Obedience/life skills
Sit: sits with haunches on the floor
Down: lays down
Stand: stands with four paws on the floor
Off: Tells the dog to jump down from something (like an exam table),
or to put their two front paws back on the ground after
inappropriately jumping up.
Stay: maintains current position until released
Place: dog goes to a designated location (bed, blanket, mat, etc) and
lays down until released
Free: releases dog from a stay/place/stationary position
Come: dog comes to the front of the handler and sits
Heel: stands in heel position on the handler’s left side
Walk: walks on a loose leash roughly in heel position
Side: The dog moves from heel position behind the handler to stand on
the right side. This is usually used before walking through doors with
hinges on the left.
No: Tells the dog to stop doing whatever they are doing.
Busy: gives permission for the dog to relieve
Under: cues the dog to move under a chair/table and lay down
Touch: dog touches nose to handler’s fist

Guide work
Forward: tells the dog to start moving forward in a straight line
Halt: tells the dog to slow to a stop in 2-3 steps
Left/right: from a stationary position, the dog turns 90 degrees
Find left/find right: when moving, the dog will find the next available turn
Over left/over right: encourages the dog to move toward the left or
right of a sidewalk/road/path/hallway
Find the (insert name of object): cues the dog to find a specific
object like an empty seat, door, stairs, etc.
Find the way: encourages the dog to find the safest way around an
obstacle they have stopped for
Curb: The dog should stop at curbs with no prompting. However, this
can be used to find a mid block crossing, for emphasis when crossing
the street, etc. This is also used a lot in sidewalkless travel, where
the handler can stop and cue the dog to make a 90 degree turn and put
their paws up on the curb, verifying that the handler is close to the
edge.
Hop up: this can mean either to walk faster, move closer to something
they have stopped to indicate, or to stop engaging with a distraction
Steady: tells the dog to slow their pace
Inside/outside: This is used to tell the dog to go in/out of a door or
a car. It can also be combined with finding a door (inside, find the
door) to have the dog find the entrance or exit of a building.
Careful: used as a correction when the dog makes a guide work error
One: This tells the dog to put their front paws on the first step down
when going down a flight of stairs. This allows the handler to feel
the depth of the stairs through the handle before proceeding down the
rest of the flight.

I've taught my dog a bunch of other cues since coming home. These are
more so fun tricks or personal preference though, so I won't list them
all.

Also, of course I echo everything else Julie said about manners/life
skills, and guide tasks done based off environmental cues rather than
verbal commands. Much of the dog's work is actually teaching correct
handler.

Danielle