[NAGDU] advice on nail grinding

Marj Schneider marjschneider at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 2 14:20:35 UTC 2023

Hello All,

Can those of you who use nail grinders to keep your dog's claws short
give me suggestions on how you accustomed your dog to the experience?

I bought a grinder from Amazon, based on the recommendation of a fellow
Seeing Eye grad who uses one with more than one dog. I've been back from
Seeing Eye for about two weeks with my new dog and have tried turning
the grinder on to its low speed and putting it next to his paws. He
pulls back the moment I try putting a claw on the grinding surface. He
otherwise hasn't minded his feet being handled, though I haven't tried a
more typical claw trimming approach yet, something I need help to
accomplish. I'd rather be able to do the task independently if I can
just get my dog comfortable with the experience.

I'd appreciate any tips on this.

Marj