[NAGDU] advice on nail grinding

joy.relton at icloud.com joy.relton at icloud.com
Fri Mar 3 02:53:39 UTC 2023

Hi all,

The one thing that you need to be mindful is that you can cause the dog to bleed if you cut too short and the quick. It is wise to error on the side of caution. I took escalators on a regular basis with five of my seven dogs and never had problems with their nails getting caught. The real issue, as I understand it, is the pads of their feet which is painful and can cause serious pain. AS long as you put something on the claw/toe nail immediately to stop the bleeding it shouldn’t be fatal. However, it is something to be aware of when considering how to trim your dog's nails. We learned more about problems trimming nails of pets when our rabbit would catch his nail and pull them out. When I have cut my dogs nails I only cut a little off of the end of the nails. In general, dogs nails should ware at appropriate  levels if they are worked out on the streets and sidewalks. Vicky is the first of seven dogs who has had any problems with nails. She does get worked and it fed what the others were fed but we haven't found her personal balance. The fish oil supplement seems to be helping. I go back to the vet next month to check progress.