[NAGDU] Confusing thoughts

Asia Quinones-Evans aevans.nfb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 21:02:54 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I want to start off by telling everyone that I am the only service dog
handler on my college campus this semester. There is a new Dean in the
Physical Education department (HPER) that I have most of my courses in.
When they set up events now he advocates strongly for the Animal Protection
League to be their. There was an event I was required to attend for class
in October and the dogs were their. The dogs did not come close to my guide
dog but he was very nervous because he could not see the dogs barking and
he did not want them to attack him. Yes, you read that correct the dogs
were barking at an event from the  APL. This lasted over 45 minutes. I had
to keep ahold of the leash to keep him focused and calm while walking
around this event. My college will have another event hosted by this
department towards the end of my semester for the students to enjoy some
relaxing time before finals. There will be the APL there. I am not sure how
to feel about this because they are getting approval from the college but
its putting my safety in  jeopardy distracting my service dog. I am pretty
sure if there were any other service dog handlers on campus they would feel
the same. I was wondering if you are in college currently, have been in
college previously, and have had this type of a situation, how did you deal
with it? The event I was required to attend in October could have been
avoided if it was not a grade for my class. This upcoming event will be in
the main building that I spend most of my time in. So I can not avoid it
that day. Thanks for any feedback.

I do want to state that besides now other dogs distracting and being
aggressive towards my guide dog I love rescue places. My first pet that I
had to put down in August was a rescue. He was 14 years old. I will always
rescue a pet no matter if I have the money to buy from a breeder.

Yours truely,

Asia Quinones-Evans

Phone: 440-670-6509
Email: aevans.nfb at gmail.com

Live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back