[NAGDU] Confusing thoughts

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 00:29:59 UTC 2023

If I am understanding this situation correctly, These are dogs that are
being specifically invited by the school for a specific time period/event.
Also correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the dogs are barking at a
distance, but the handlers are not allowing the dogs to come up to your
dog. If this is the case, the school and the other handlers aren't really
doing anything wrong here. Sure the school probably should get actual
therapy dogs to come visit with students if that is their goal, but that is
their choice if they want to invite another animal related organization. I
100% understand how frustrating dog distractions can be, but unfortunately
this is something we as handlers need to be able to deal with. If the dogs
aren't actually interacting with your dog or directly threatening him, such
as lunging from a few feet away, it is reasonable to expect him to work
around other dogs. Like others have said, I would recommend working on his
dog distraction using the tools you already have or by contacting your
school for advice. The other handlers really aren't doing anything wrong in
this situation provided they are not bringing their dogs anywhere they have
not been invited and they aren't allowing their dogs to be super close to
yours.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Danielle