[NAGDU] Using Rolling Suitcase with Guide Dog

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Mon Oct 2 14:22:24 UTC 2023

Hello, others will probably chime in so here is what I do. If I only have a rolling bag with me, I will hold it with my right hand and pull it behind me, which allows my dog to still guide me from my left side. If I also have another bag, like a laptop bag or messenger bag of some type, I make sure to have one that has the trolley style on it so that I can slip the handles of a suitcase or rolling bag into it and this way, I can pull both bags behind me with relative ease. When making turns, I tend to make them a little wider than usual to allow enough room for my bag to also make the turn. Other than that, there is not a lot to it. Also, if I am traveling with my guide dog, I will more often than not, check my rolling bag in with regular luggage so that the only thing I have with me on the plane is myself, my dog, and my smaller carry-on bag. For identification purposes, I have purchased from amazon, several bendable luggage tag identifiers with large single tactile letters. Visually, you can get them in different contrasting colors. I have the ones that are green with white letters. I will typically choose the letter g for obvious reasons. When you are looking for your own bag later or if you have someone assisting with locating it, describing what your bag looks like, along with the fact that it will have a letter on the tag will make it easier to find.

--
Raul Gallegos / President
National Association of Guide Dog Users
346.439.7444 | RGallegos at nagdu.org