[NAGDU] Using Rolling Suitcase with Guide Dog

Joy Relton joy.relton at icloud.com
Mon Oct 2 23:13:20 UTC 2023

The brand is Easy Wheel. We ordered this online a few years ago but I don't know from where. I highly recommend the liners if you walk in any kind of wet weather as we do here in the Portland Oregon area. Also, It makes it easier to manage the contents of the cart if you have to carry laundry or other items that don't fit nicely in a grocery bag or which you'd rather not leave behind. There is also a hook on it which latches across the opposite of the cart when it is folded for easier storage behind a door, in the garage, or in the closet.

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions for you.

What kind of a rolling suit case do you use? There are some that have a pull-out lever on the narrow side that you can use to pull the suit case beside or behind you. In my opinion, these are not practical or functional for your purposes. The rolling suit case that we just bought is a big one which I can pull but cheerfully let my husband pull because it is wide and not as manageable as I think is practical. I have a smaller suit case which has zippers on the sides which you can unzip and expand the suit case to hold those extra three outfits I always think that I need. It has a couple of zipper pockets on the front side which work well for my premeasured dog food, grooming gear and the like.  Most importantly the handle on the top has a button which you depress and a longer handle pulls out which  you can turn the suit case so that it pulls behind you and the wide side is facing your backside. The "handle" is a U-shaped and is housed inside the wall of the suit case which makes it less susceptible to bending and breaking as well as affording you better control.  The wheels turn nicely for going around corners and afford you much better control over the weight of the bag. The wheels actually spin in directions as well as forward and back so that they are on, a caster-like structure which will help you corner better.   I set the suit case on the step behind me on the escalators and then simply lift it and pull it behind me as we step off of the escalator. Mine is compact enough to fit under the seat in the airplane or up  in the overhead compartment. This is obviously what I do so that Vicky tucks under the seat in front of me.