[NAGDU] GDB/Leader Dogs O&M programs

Deanna Lewis deannakay03 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 22:16:33 UTC 2023

Hi Madison,
I attended the Guide Dogs for the Blind O&M Immersion Program in
September 2022. It was a great experience and helped me a lot with my
cane skills, and strengthened other mobility skills that would help me
become a better guide dog user as well. I was in the one-week program
and stayed at the dorms in San Rafael, California. I know they just
started offering the OMI (Orientation and Mobility Immersion) Program
as a two-week on campus program now, which is great! I was still
working my second guide dog, Mambo at the time, but he was nearing his
retirement. During the training, Mambo stayed with his puppy raiser
who lived within driving distance from campus. If he didn't stay at
home, or with his puppy raiser, he was welcome to stay with me in the
dorms and spend time during my training with staff members.
Overall, the program was great and very beneficial. Please write me
off-list if you have any specific questions or anything.
Deanna and Martin (my newest guide dog)