[NAGDU] SWITCHING FROM CANE TO DOG, AND OTHER THOUGHTS

Joy Relton joy.relton at icloud.com
Sat Sep 23 01:35:31 UTC 2023

Hi Parham,

First, congratulations for researching your choices for independent travel.
I emphasize that it is a choice. You are wise to think about it. I used a
cane for several years before I got my first dog guide. I am now working
with my seventh guide and do not regret any of the dogs or the years using
them. I do use a cane occasionally. I agree that it is important to keep up
those skills. I now carry a folding cane in my purse to check out areas when
I am working with a dog because it is safer than using my feet to find out
what my dog is trying to show me. This is not something that I did with my
first five dogs as a regular thing.

Working with your wife with her cane will be something you will have to work
out. First, your dog is not trained to guide both of you so your wife will
need to use her cane while walking with you. I have seen several techniques
used by couples with varying levels of success. You and your wife will have
to try things out and find out what works with you and your guide. Some
people just walk together and talk to one another. Then, when it is a
crowded area I have seen the cane user walk behind the dog guide user
placing a hand on the shoulder or touching an arm. The cane user cannot be
in a position which interferes with the effective and safe use of the dog.
The cane user, in my opinion, must continue to use their cane for their
safety. By the way, my husband is sighted and we have to work out what works
well for us to walk together. It varies depending on the situation.  I will
caution you that you need to ensure that you are using your dog as a guide
for you and not anticipating what is ahead or in anyway expecting that dog
to serve as a guide for both of you. Talk with the dog guide instructors.
They will tell you that the dog is distracted by people walking next to you
or in a position where they can see that person. I recently moved to a new
neighborhood and I was walking with my husband to the gym because I hadn't
walked it before. We discovered that the gps and walking alone worked better
for us. My husband would walk where she couldn't see him and wait to ensure
that I hadn't turned somewhere I shouldn't have. It works well. I agree with
you about walking different directions and exploring different locations. It
is a wonderful way to gain confidence in one another. When I first trained
with a dog they used to encourage you to take different routes to get places
on a regular basis. This makes you pay attention to the dog and the dog is
guiding not on auto pilot.  My second dog used to look at me when I wanted
to turn a different way and make a funny noise as if to say "wait, we went
the other way yesterday!"

Each dog is different and you and your wife are different as well as the
situation in which you live. Enjoy working with your new guide and
communicate with the dog guide trainer whenever you have a question.

Good luck! Enjoy!

Joy with Vicky #7