[NAGDU] airport assistance question

Richard richard.petty at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 14:00:33 UTC 2023

Janell,

It is troubling to read of your airport experience on your return trip. The
rude and disrespectful behavior you experienced from the assistant is
inexcusable. This is an opportunity for you to write the airline with a
complaint about this person's behavior. Most airlines have contact
information (phone numbers, email addresses, or postal addresses) for
customer service or even disability assistance.

I recently wrote United Airlines to acknowledge excellent service from the
person providing sighted guide assistance in Houston GB Intercontinental.
Sadly, my next message to them was a complaint about being grabbed, pushed,
pulled, and manhandled by their assistance staff. This was about a separate
arrival.

Airlines need to know this information so they can address problems through
their contractors. I believe a brief, well-placed message may ultimately
help.

By the way, often I have experienced language barriers and what I fear are
cultural barriers when assistance staff are from other parts of the world.
As far as  language is concerned, they and we (the users of their services)
are placed in precarious situations when they cannot communicate with us
effectively. Not being able to direct us with words can lead to grabbing,
pulling and worse. We need to identify language barriers in our complaints.
I believe all should be welcome in our nation; however, we as passengers
have every reason to expect service that is helpful and useful.

Cultural barriers are more difficult to tackle. We can best address them by
making complaints about behaviors without commenting on cultural matters. In
my experience, at times the person providing help has been so surly and
churlish for no known reason, I have wondered if something deeper was
occurring. I thought about this when I read your message about the person
who became so upset when you would not ride in a wheelchair. In some other
cultures, people who are blind are reviled. People from those cultures may
not want to have contact with us because they fear that contact will bring
misfortune to them, possibly their own blindness. I have heard and read many
anecdotal examples of this. For people who have these prejudices, providing
assistance to people with disabilities is a poor match for them. We should
complain focusing only on the behavior and request remedies. We can hope
their hearts are changed.

By the way, I do tip when I believe the person assisting has been helpful
and positive.

I truly hope your future travel experiences are pleasant and positive.

Richard

Richard Petty
Richard.petty at earthlink.net