[NAGDU] Income tax question That is related to blindness and Guide dogs

richardfiorello716 at gmail.com richardfiorello716 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 23:57:16 UTC 2024

Hi Venessa and list.
I unfortunately didn't see an address to reply to you privately.
Guide dog expenses can be deducted as medical expenses and your medical
expenses have to exceed 7.5% of income and only the amount above that amount
helps.  The bad news is that medical expenses no matter the amount are an
itemized deduction.  You initially have a choice of taking either a standard
deduction or itemizing.  You only start to benefit from guide dog expenses
if you itemize.  For 2023 the standard deduction for a single person is
13,850.00  Because you are legally blind you get a slightly larger standard
deduction.  This means that all your deductions, interest, contributions,
taxes and medical have to be larger than the standard deduction before you
can itemize.
Now if I have succeeded in confusing you you can contact me off list at
richardfiorello716 at gmail.com.
Richard